Charles "Buddy" Wheatley is Of Counsel to Cook &Logothetis, LLC as of January, 2014. He specializes in collective bargaining negotiations, public sector labor law, and employment law issues.
Buddy is a second career attorney. After 20 years of public service as a firefighter for the City of Covington, the final three years (2005-2008) as Fire Chief, he attained his law degree from Northern Kentucky University's Chase College of Law. He graduated from NKU's Chase with a concentration in Labor and Employment law.
As a firefighter, Buddy was active with the Covington Professional Firefighters IAFF Local 38, eventually serving as its Secretary/Treasurer for eight years. He was elected to a statewide position as Secretary/Treasurer of the Kentucky Professional Firefighters in 2005. Buddy continues to be active in the local labor movement through the Labor History Project sponsored by the Northern Kentucky Labor Council.
Buddy completed an externship with the Cincinnati office of the National Labor Relations Board in 2009. He began his solo law practice right out of law school in the fall of 2009, and has successfully litigated wage and hour cases for Kentucky firefighter unions throughout the state. His solo practice has also focused on collective bargaining where his experience on both sides of the table has proven effective for transit workers and firefighters in negotiating their working agreements.
Areas of Practice
- Collective Bargaining Negotiations
- Public Sector Labor Law
- Wage and Hour
- Employment Law
- Kentucky, 2009
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2010
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2010
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- J.D. - 2009
- Major: Labor and Employment Concentration
- Northern Kentucky University
- B.A. - 1997
- Major: English
- University of Kentucky
- B.A. - 1983
- Major: Journalism
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment section
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association—Labor and Employment section, Local Government section
- Kentucky Professional Firefighters, active retired
- Covington Professional Firefighters, active retired